Tuesday, March 11, 2014

IEW- Week 21

Today we kicked off our very last paper of the year. It's a three week, five paragraph essay. Lesson 24 Level B should be easy for us all to do given the time allotment however, it's the end of the year and if life gets in the way, mercy abounds.

In class we discussed the how and why of the project: this is an opinion paper but you may use research to back up your opinion. This is NOT a research paper. The structure and format are spelled out in detail along with some really wonderful prompts and questions on pp. 159-163. This week we are focusing on the three body paragraphs.

I passed out my personal lesson strategy for my own boys and you are welcome to use it or chuck it, whatever makes it work for you.  If you choose to use my lesson plan, I do ask that you read it start to finish before you jump in as I wrote in snippets to conserve space (didn't want to hand you a ten page tome!) and it might make better sense to you if you see the big picture before you begin to tackle the details.

Also, Julie Hilts has told me that an app. exists for IEW! There is a free version as well as a full version for purchase that contains a thesaurus.

If anyone needs an emailed copy of the lesson plan, I can do that. I also have an emailable copy of the math game (Bagels, Fermi, Pico) from today. They seemed to enjoy it. It is also an app. 

Please do not allow yourself to be overwhelmed by this. I know some of you are still without power and there is much grace poured out in your direction! Let me know if you have any questions.

Blessings,
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment